Friday, June 8, 2012

The "LADY" School

Here are some pictures of the school where I am staying.  It is a boarding school for girls.  In the summer, it is the site of the "Little America" camp.  It's a cool building located in Boyarka (a suburb of Kyiv) with fancy grounds and lots and lots of rooms -- classrooms and bedrooms (and few that function as both), "canteen" (the cafeteria or dining hall), toilet rooms, shower rooms, a random half-demolished looking ballroom, and probably more I haven't discovered. 

the school (it really is called "LADY" -- in Russian or Ukrainian)

probably about a fourth of the school's interior is pink

Not the best picture, but this is our bedroom.  Ten of us teachers sleep here.  The sheets we got were pink with Disney princess print.  The curtains are pastel rainbow colors, and there is a little butterfly attached to one of the curtains.  It's like we're in a princess house.
I don't feel a need to describe what this is a picture of. 
As a side note, we do have a cleaning lady who comes into our room every morning and sometimes tries to talk to us in Russian.  But we have to wash our laundry by hand.  Oh, this is a funny place.
Yes, there are three shower heads.  The answer to your next question is absolutely not!  But the students have similar setups, and I think they do all shower together.
The random half-demolished-under-construction ballroom.

Flowers.  Another contributing factor to why we had walked into a princess house when we came here.  First of all, Ukraine seems really big on flowers.  I love it. :) There are people selling fresh flowers all over the place, beautiful flowers that seem bigger than they are in America.  Perhaps because of end-of-year celebrations, the school had bouquets of flowers all over the place when we first arrived. 

Part of the grounds surrounding the school.  Did I mention they're big into flowers here?
More of the grounds -- here they have incorporated the school logo into the landscaping . . . with flowers, of course. :)  (It's a feminine hand, a series of little dots, and a star)

The entrance into the school.  Tania and Igor asked me on our way to Boyarka how American parents are willing to send their children to summer camps that are not enclosed by a fence.  Um . . . I guess I always thought of a camp as being out in the woods with older kids who know to stay around the camp area.  I guess I'm mostly thinking of Girls Camp.  But this camp is just right in the town, and the fence is apparently imperative. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the photo of the toilet room! Very modernized!!! when I was in Russia, the personal homes had the toilet (more like a water closet with the pull down string to flush the toilet) in one room, then you had to walk out of that room into the hall and down to the next door with the sink and shower/tub in a separate room. That was 1994 and some people were beginning to take that wall down between the two rooms. I just found it gross that I had to go into another room to wash my hands. Of course, the public restrooms were not even that nice. They were just holes in the floor. The summer camp I experienced for a few days was in the woods and very similar to American camps! Of course Ukraine isn't Russia but they had both been a part of the Soviet Union and weren't separated long before I went.

    ReplyDelete